Monday, August 30, 2010

Maturity

First, an update on the book Spirit Life.

Last Thursday we had 50 copies of the book delivered to our door. Immediately we sent out about 20 that had been preordered...and yesterday at Restoration Church we sold out...with verbal requests for at least 12 more. So just a few minutes ago I contacted Chi Alpha with another order of 50. It is thrilling to sense the interest and timeliness of the book...teachers, small group leaders, pastors with keen interest. Some who have now worked through the book like it a lot. Discussions about this being core material for all believers. PTL!

If you want a copy, send us $20 and enclose a self-addressed card or label and we will turn your order around in quick fashion. Our address: 3989 Pronghorn Meadows Circle, Colorado Springs, Colo 80922.

Within the week we will probably have a Pay Pal site opened on this blog that will let most of the transaction go quickly and efficiently.


______MATURITY

I carry a moleskine, ruled journal, with me everywhere. Fits a shirt pocket..or jeans pocket...and that way, I am never without the ability to keep brief track of of what I sense the Lord might be prompting to me. (I got my Moleskine at Barnes and Noble - pack of three)

Yesterday, in the midst of a great service, I penned this thought..."Think of what maturity it took for Jesus to minister in the temple."

Jesus, knew very early, that he would face enough opposition and reaction by the people who dominated that place (the temple) that it would lead to his death..and a horrid form of death at that. There has never been a rejection of someone good any more profound and painful. There has rarely been as much clear awareness that it was impending.

And yet, Jesus was often in the temple area teaching at his best, loving people and helping so many find the pathway to life and health. He did not withdraw for safety sake. He did not rage for emotions sake. He did not limit his speech for avoidance sake. He spoke the truth where he was...He continued the course. He entrusted himself to the Father and showed us what maturity really is all about.

I tend to be one who avoids the negative situations, withdraws to the company of friends, and limits my words. It comes naturally to do that. Produced by self-preservation, fear...and more.

And that pattern to temper my stance is underlined in me by the times that I have faced that kind of response from people after the fact, and for somewhat trivial things...and with very little consequence of suffering for me. Immaturity is easy. Maturity is costly and self-sacrificial.

Jesus had the huge and intense picture in view early, and he continued the course, to speak truth, to love people and to run the whole race, trusting the Father.

May we "run the race set before us" today...and provide a reliable and even strength to those who follow, and perhaps even resist.

Maturity.

David

No comments: