Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor

It is the season of my life...labor has changed shape.

I used to work rather endlessly, 60 hours per week was average...and there were some 70's. Somehow with a little smarts, and a great amount of grace, the family endured my craziness. So, on this labor day, I say "whew, we made it," we all love the Lord and one another. Thanks be to God.

Labor used to pretty much define me - a growing church, for 25 straight years, an endless appointment schedule, a very multifaceted portfolio, national responsibilities....on and on and on. Never ending To-Do lists only decreased slightly on the very best days, to become bigger yet on the next.

And now it is a season of change...and the change is often very challenging. I coach five pastors, assess churches, speak rather frequently, speak into the lives of church leaders, write articles and a book (and still have a TO DO list...however much smaller). And I sometimes nap - at least I know I can!, and take long evenings without much pressure and sleep 8-9 hours per night. Coffee and newspaper in the morning, and long stretches of time in the word and prayer...and so much joined life with my friend and partner, Jackie. And wonderful availability to the family...and frequent meals together and lots of phone time.

And it is still a very challenging change - from endless pressure to a more self-starting creative pace. From more people who "need you now" than I can respond to, to am I needed at all? From endless affirmations...to much more infrequent ones. From purpose, chasing you down from early morning to late evening (and sometimes through the night.)

And now these thoughts - on this Labor Day:

1. If I had to do it again...I would go at a slower pace, and not put the family at such risk. I would try to play more and share life together more endlessly...than put them into a schedule. I would more constantly evaluate my actual state, by seeking their counsel and open feedback. I would consciously drive towards the less polished, so the moments of life corporate and personal could be more filled with reality and love...not push and performance.

2. I would thank God for giving me his work to do...not endlessly create more and then be driven by it. "Six days shall you labor" I now see as a gift, not a law. From a God who appears on the stage of human history as at work..Genesis 2:2...and then is full of celebration, even play, at the work of his hands.

3. I would seek to savor much more, the progress in people and work to delimit the endless thirst for "more and better." More times to relish the present, hug and dance...and water the good crops growing already in people. More cards, notes, surprizes and parties.

4. I would try to choose a simpler life...with less pressure to accumulate stuff, move fast, and get er done. Overwhelmed by the Jesus model, who did all this best. Pouring more into less...discipleship.

Well, may each of us be good at what we do...working as for the Lord...causing those around us to look forward to the product of our hands and minds. And may we walk through all the seasons of our lives thankful for the strength and opportunity to labor.

Selah.

David

No comments: