Tuesday, September 14, 2010

On the Road

Two books I am reading and finding very good:

1. Beyond Megachurch Myths...by Thumma and Travis - Josey Bass.
This is a work based on good research and fair thinking. It doesn't grind on one side or the other of the mega-church assessment but finds a very informative middle ground, out of which I am developing a new appreciation for what the Lord is doing in the mega church movement. A good read.

2. Augustine of Hippo a biography - Peter Brown, U Cal Press. Probably still in print though first edition was 1967. Found mine in a used book store. A masterful treatment of an epic church leader of the fourth century, whose gifts and ministry are still impacting lots of stuff around us. I got into it wanting to see his journey up close...to see what he did at what age...:) So far (143 pages - of 400+) a great read. (After his retirement in his late 30's!! - go firgure - the best things began to happen - and he went on for about 40 years!) Reading about stuff like this has a wonderful way of sizing up our faith, our commitments, our sense of "it's all about me" and our trust in God. Be sure to read biographies.

3. In a season of less pressure and calendar, it is helping me to jot down significant contacts, ideas etc. as they happen so that at the end of a day I can see that it was really rather significant. God really is at work...something is happening in my life.
I jot down grandkids time too...what a joy to finally be more focused in this area. (Carson - age 4 - came into my den this morning as I was reading the word...and said, "Grampy, I have to go to preschool soon, but could we play for the next five minutes?" We did and it sent us both off into our days with a love boost.
Make sure you get a lift from play today.

Join me in living where you are...dipping into the past to get better perspective, and engaging the present...and especially not spending valuable time and energy on regretting the past or wishing about the future.

Our present days are a gift from God...He is intimately acquainted with all of our ways. He loves the details.

On the road...with you

David

3 comments:

Galen said...

So, if you're reading on Augustine, you must not have that engrained and visceral bias against Catholics I find so ubiquitous among Protestants?

Spirit Life said...

Hi Galen.
At 12 I moved to Montreal and was raised in French and Catholic Quebec from that point on. Only God can unscramble it all at the end. And he will.

Susie said...

Pastor Dave, I remember a diagrm you once used that showed Jesus as the Core of our beliefs. All the other beliefs, traditions were going to vary, but that it's important to keep Jesus as the Center of it all, that Jesus is our common ground. That's been years ago in a gymnasium in Lincoln that you taught a group of us, but I've recalled that diagrm so often. It's helped me to not be so judgemental toward others. Thanks.