Thursday, January 7, 2010

Doors

January 7, 2010

DOORS


Just sent out 40 letters of update information.

Searching for what is next. (See prior blogs for the full story.)

40 little taps on doors to see if something might open that is God.
40 attempts to stir up prayers and ideas with some people who we know listen well.
40 attempts to tell God and those around us we are listening and watching and open to His direction.

Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap..........


As I have prepared to do this I have been so reminded of words spoken in the first century to a church in Philadelphia.
(not Pennsylvania!)

Here it is....

(find the complete text in Revelation 3:7-13)

What He opens no one can shut, and what He shuts no one can open.
I know your deeds.
See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.
I know you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

I take comfort that this is a widely applying promise.
Qualifications, after all, include:
a little strength
have not denied my name
part of a large church

I take note that the doormaster is not me or my deeds, but God Himself and His invincible will.

I also reflect a lot about a series of thoughts that turn this into a lesson from every room in our lives:
About panic: You never have a door without also having walls....so don't get down when it is not a straight line shot to the goal. That zig zag you're on. Could be pure God.

About pace: Walls cause us to slow down, and walk straight. - so we have to navigate clearly with the lights on brightly. Rather than pressing the accelerator, you might try the brakes.

About progress: Walls too let us mark progress and find our way home.
Ask me about my first try getting home in the dark in the Springs. No mountain to signal - "west." Nah, better not ask.

And walls are sometimes an annoyance to us..
(..unless we've already read this blog :)

So let us deal with the "walls" with grace and wisdom...and not lose any precious energy or time in a fretful, mistrusting, reverse gear.

Let us keep trusting in He who opens and closes, and knows the plans He has for us...that the closed will open or the open will close in just the right time.

"Our Father, in heaven...thanks for accomplishing Your will in us. Thanks for your care over us and the details that come under Your gaze. Thanks for openings and closings that keep us on the long and often winding road - to home. We even thank You for the walls, that add direction, excitement, care to our lives. Jesus, You are the best. Amen."

Rest well tonight.

God is in control.

Selah.

David

No comments: