Saturday, May 29, 2010

ETIQUETTE

Saturday, May 29, 2010

ETIQUETTE

Tomorrow will be my last time to speak as interim pastor at Restoration Church.

Next Sunday Pastor Paul will speak and we will be honored for our service to the church during these last many months.

So what shall I say tomorrow?

Key: what can I say that will make the way better for the new pastor? What can I say that he might find less comfort in saying, especially early in his ministry at the church? How can I continue the role clearly set before me? See John 3:30?


So the focus will be: ON ETIQUETTE...HOW TO TREAT YOUR NEW PASTOR.

The points may shift some...but here is the main thrust of it:

1. Give them your love
....really love them from the very start.
Don't play the toleration game, or the comparison game, or the wait-and-see game, or the what's-in it-for-me game....simply love them from the start.

a. Be patient..it takes a long time to feel like you are "home."

b. For a long time, always give them your first name - "Greet," the NT way.
(Don't play the "I told you last week" game. Keep loving and reaching.

c. Be generous - Psalm 112:5, I Timothy 5:17 - a pie, a steak, a bit of shared
produce, and a large offering...make for really great encouragement and faith.

2. Accept your pastor for who he is and who he isn't
a. The Jesus model: John 1:10,14a
b. The US model
c. The reality

4. Pray for he and his family frequently - I Thessalonians 1:2
The challenges of ministry are great - II Corinthians 11:28, Phil.1:19

5. Allow your pastor to pastor you - Hebrews 13:17
I Corinthians 13:4-8.


In the healthy churches in our fellowship, I have witnessed a great love affair going on between the people and the Lord Jesus AND between the people and their Pastor.

Let it be so here...and watch what the Lord will do!

Selah

David

No comments: