Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26

FEAR

An elevator with glass doors?
I would back into a corner.
A hotel with multi-story atrium and rooms all around it?
I would pray for a spot on the main floor.
Scheduled to fly?
…I would close my eyes at takeoff and pull down the shade.
Stairs – with open spaces between them?
…not good.
Escalators open to the sales areas below?
Just keep looking at your feet.
Fear and height were at times almost interchangeable.
I had never enjoyed heights, but now it was ridiculous.
In my wipeout emotionally, irrationality had taken hold.
That’s part of why my mountain bike had hung on the side of the garage wall for the past three years.
……..Until Saturday.
“Want to take a ride?”
It was my daughter and her husband beckoning me to join them.
With crash helmet in place, I did.
And went some miles on streets, then paths, then gravel paths, then up and down paths, then across stream paths……and that is where I said, “enough for today.”
But, Jesus and me had won.
Fear was moved even further back and away from my life.
I enjoyed the ride.
Seems true – facing your fears is the best way….with Jesus.
Selah.

No comments: