Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Matt

June 15, 2010


Matt


Matt...bet some of you thought I was reading Matthew again and had a fresh thought. Well, the reading part is right, but....Matt is actually the name of my mailman.

Yesterday I went out to get the mail...about 2:30pm. Our box is in a community stacker about 30yards north of our house. Probably 30 boxes all together. The postman, with one key opens the entire front of the stacker and puts all the mail in at will. We then retrieve it from individually secured boxes.

Looking up the street to the mail area I saw the postman (don't know him) busy sorting mail in the back of his vehicle...the hatch back lifted (of course). I decided to wait outside for him to finish, so I started pulling weeds from the beds (we have a few :))

After a moment of that, I began to hear "uh"...and "ooh" coming from the direction of the mail station. Not once...but over and over.

Finally, I felt prompted to check it out and, coming up behind him I asked: "you ok?" "Not really" he replied. And with that he began to explain a troubled back condition, two surgeries, pending further medical retirement?...and lots of pain. Thus the "uh"s and "ooh"s.

For a moment I told him about a recent healing experience..Micah's foot healed in our living room. And then asked if we could pray. No hesitation on his part at all and we prayed together for a moment. Ater that, he said his leg felt some better and I said I would keep praying for him.

He thanked me a lot, and with that was gone.

Several times already today I have been reminded to pray for him....and today I met him again at the mail station...in fact I stopped writing this to go and check on him. His leg?...better. He is not in as much pain, and seemed to be very mobile...squatting down easily. He said he was thankful too for lighter mail today. He talked of telling his family about our encounter and their reaction of great interest. He asked me to pray for a family member who is in need of God's intervention. He spoke freely about God...and how all of this had boosted his faith.

I said I would watch for him and sometimes come out so we could stay in touch. He thanked me for it and said he really appreciated it.

Matt...maybe on his way to becoming Matthew. Know what I mean? :)

(To be continued.)

David

No comments: