Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tongue control

Working on an article in these days about Godly patterns of speech and was led to review all of the book of Proverbs on its wisdom in this area.

A vast number of references to the subject.

From that research comes these interesting verses, with a focus that caught my attention.

10:19 - When words are many, sin is not absent.

11:13 - A gossip betrays a confidence but a trusted man keeps a secret

12:18 - reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of a wise man brings healing

13:3 - He who guards his lips guards his life -
he who speaks rashly will come to ruin

16:9 - He who covers over an offense promotes love,
but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

16:14 - Starting a quarrel is like breaking a dam;
so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out

17:28 - Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent (why am I smiling?)

20:19 - Avoid a man who talks too much

25:15 - A gentle tongue can break a bone.
In cultural context it means, persistence in gentleness can break down the hardest of objects, the nastiest of spirits, the most rigid of defenses.

Well, that is a partial listing of what I found. I note that I need to keep learning to weigh what I say before I speak. Too often I have spoken much to fill the air with myself...striving for affirmation or control.

Let's work on this: NOT responding with our ideas quickly, but asking a question or just listening. Often when I have done this I have discovered an early response would have been one that led in the wrong direction.

May we be wise today...

David

No comments: