Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The hummers

I didn't see them at first.

I just saw a sort-of trail in the air - like the flash of a bullet.

I knew something had just gone by the end of the patio...but past my range of clear vision.

Then, out of the corner of my eye...a tiny jerking motion.

Around clusters of orange flowers - one inch long and bell-shaped.
Darting from one flower to another was a black-chinned, 3" long humming bird...up down, back forth, hanging in air...wings almost invisible.

Placing an inch long bill into an inch long flower (!) with bright yellow eyes protruding made me think it had just put on a gas mask as it took sip after sip of "white lightening" from the blossoms.

Then there were two...and then three hummers...and they began to play (or vie for territory?). Round and round in the air they went until, still circling, they shot up into the air vertically.

Then straight down and by me close enough I could hear the hum of their wings.

And that night I draw my breath again as the moon shines bright enough street lights do not matter.

And I think of the galaxies beyond. And the cells within. And the Scottish poem turned to music generations ago...

All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all.
He gave us eyes to see them, and lips that we might tell
How great is God Almighty, Who has made all things well.

Have an awe-some day....and watch for His fingerprints.

Selah..
Dave

No comments: